Have you ever stopped to think about the distance of the monarch butterfly migration? A team of pollinator advocates and film-makers will be documenting the flight of the monarch butterfly as seen through the eyes of ultra-runners.
The Monarch Ultra relay run will travel the same monarch butterfly migration distance of 2,671 miles from southern Ontario to central Mexico. Their journey begins on September 19 and will end on November 4th.
Plants Map has joined the Monarch Ultra as a sponsor and we hope you will also join their mission to protect and connect monarch migration habitats.
Ways to get involved:
- Follow the Monarch Ultra route and cheer on the runners.
- Donate to the Monarch Ultra. Donations raised by runners’ fundraising efforts will go to Monarch City USA, a nonprofit committed to monarch conservation.
- Get involved with monarch butterfly conservation.
Plants Map Monarch Habitats along the Monarch Ultra Route
- Monarch Waystation Gardens Collection – Downsview Park Orchard, North York, Ontario
- Reed Park Butterfly Waystation Profile, Allen, TX
- Butterfly and Pollinator Gardens Collection – Friends of Oak Cliff Parks, Dallas, TX
- Visitor Center Wildlife & Pollinator Demonstration Garden – Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas, San Antonio, TX
Monarch Waystations on Plants Map
- Nectar Plants Collection by Annkat
- Bright Hope Butterfly Garden – Pocahontas Chapter Virginia Master Naturalists
- Stage Nature Center
- Park Ridge Green Team
- Butterfly Way Station – Frederick Douglass Elementary School Garden Lab
What is a Monarch Waystation?
Each fall, hundreds of millions of monarch butterflies migrate from the United States and Canada to mountains in central Mexico where they wait out the winter until conditions favor a return flight in the spring. Monarch Waystations are places that provide resources necessary for monarchs to produce successive generations and sustain their migration. Learn more at www.monarchwatch.org/waystations.
The 2019 Monarch Migration in the News
- Monarch migration: Experts say now is the best time to see the natural phenomenon | NBC 15 MADISON, Wis. (WMTV)
- Monarch Video Goes Viral on Social Media, Showing the Impact of Native Plants | ABC 6 News
- Monarchs heading to Mexico for winter | 13 ABC TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG)
- Impressive Numbers of Monarchs Witnessed – Tracking Fall 2019 Migration Maps | Journey North
Plants Map Featured Profile Journals
- Native plants are a passion for Prairie Nursery
- Toyota welcomes pollinators and visitors to its Texas truck plant
- Native plants bring a Virginia landscape to life
- Monarch butterfly advocate raises awareness of growing milkweed
- Volunteers turn a public library landscape into an educational pollinator garden
- Plants for endangered pollinators
- Congratulations to the Million Pollinator Garden Challenge on surpassing one million registered gardens
- Invite to Garden for Wildlife with the National Wildlife Federation on Plants Map
- The MONARCH: Saving Our Most-Loved Butterfly by Kylee Baumle
- Our Little Acre – http://ourlittleacre.blogspot.com
- Journey North – https://journeynorth.org/monarchs/news
Cover photo: Small White Aster